Monday, February 7, 2011

It's like a shower before your shift is against company policy

Remember how I was saying I was having a RAM shortage that was making computing difficult? Yeah, well, turns out it wasn't memory that was my problem. My problem was a sad old dying hard drive - but a hard drive that had the decency to crap out with three weeks left on my warranty! So that's the good news.

The bad news is that I spent three hours of my life that I will never get back in the Apple store on Saturday, working with a so-called "genius" to eke out whatever files I could from the old drive. Long story short: he did everything wrong, Time Machine is a piece of crap, and I figured out how to do it myself. Instead of standing in the middle of a store packed with people getting some free iPad time on a rainy afternoon, I could have done it all from the comfort of my own kitchen table, perhaps even in jammies. Minus the increasingly frazzled husband trying to navigate the chaos with the stroller.

Marlo of course thought the Apple store was fascinating - what with all the video monitors and unwashed geeks. She only started to fuss and cry well after I had already started to do so myself.

Oh, and by the way Motorola. Nobody wants your fake iPad. Thanks, bye.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was Utilikilt guy there? He's my fave.

Tori said...

No, but I did see lip ring/peach fuzz mustache.