Tuesday, December 15, 2009

And the Craving of the Moment is...

Arby's. French Dip n' Swiss. Curly fries. I actually just googled the Arby's menu to see if they still had it, and they do. It's currently on the $5.01 menu. Then I made myself look at the nutritional info, in an attempt to shame myself out of actually getting in my car and driving cross town in the dark and cold and rain to get it. The sodium content is obscene - 2080 milligrams before you even get to the fries. I told myself that was only if you drank the au jus and contemplated going for it anyway, but I think maybe having confessed the craving here will help it pass.

I may have a bit of an issue with french dip addiction, however. As I admitted (well, actually crowed) to my facebook friends, last Wednesday I had two french dips for lunch. Two. In my defense the particular deli serving said french dips serves them on very tiny little french rolls - they're basically no better than hot dog buns. However, on this particular day, the french rolls were out, forcing me to order the sandwiches on croissants. I'm not going to lie and say it wasn't delicious, because it was, but it was also just a little bit of a gut bomb. I had to force myself to eat a salad at 9:30 at night because I still had not had one teensy desire for any dinner.

If I were a good wife, I would ignore these french dip cravings. Husband is off flying his airplane tonight, and I told him I would make a pot of chili so he would have something to eat tomorrow night while I go and sub at my sister's bunko game. I imagine him in the wee hours of the morning, making the hour drive home with visions of chili in waiting causing a rumble in his belly. He comes in the door, expecting to be greeted by the lingering smells of cumin and onion...but instead, no food odor at all. That's okay, he'd figure, it must just be overpowered by the Christmas tree. But then he would see me, sleeping away like an angel with ten plump sausages for fingers, and find the aftermath of the Arby's feast in the garbage. He would be crushed. Crushed, maybe, but not entirely surprised.

Nope. Not working. Still want the Arby's.

No comments: