Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cheesy Pie

Remember earlier this week, when I was worried about the size of my eggplant? Well, it turns out I didn't worry for nothing. My "Eggplant Lasagna" turned into more of a "Cheese Pie with Eggplant." Not that I'm complaining.



How do you make such wonders in your own kitchen? I thought you'd never ask.
First, you must Lorena Bobbit your eggplant. Sorry, couldn't resist, done now, I promise.



Preheat your oven to 450. Cut the eggplant (or aubergine, if you want to pretend you are British and fancy) into 1/4" slices and spray or brush lightly with some olive oil. Roast for 5-10 minutes or until they smell eggplant-y and are soft and slightly brown.



Assemble the same ingredients you would for regular lasagna sans the noodles. In my case it was 1/2 a tub of ricotta mixed with one beaten egg, a jar of sauce and a buttload of mozz. Oh yeah, and the eggplant.



Assemble in layers like normal lasagna (I'm really not going to hold your hand, if you don't know, go look it up on some cooking website), cover and bake at 375 for about 1/2 an hour. Then uncover it and bake for another 15.


Put it under the broiler if you have to to get the top cheese all crusty and wonderful.


You're going to want to let it sit for at least 15 minutes when it comes out of the oven, or else the cheese will just ooze like molten lava and it will be impossible to cut, let alone eat. If you want to end up with something that resembles lasagna and not just a big dish of saucy melted cheese, you are probably going to want to use two eggplants instead of just one.

Serve with a nice little green salad, so you don't feel so guilty about all the cheese.

No comments: